2/9/11

greight (that's green and eight!)



 dress: nine west, shirt: loft, boots: urban outfitters

I haven't really been keeping up with what # outfit I'm on, so I was pretty surprised to learn that this is already #8.  Almost a third of the way through and I had no idea!  
 
This dress actually tricked me into buying it.  While looking for wedding dresses a couple of months ago, I ran across this in a department store.  It was way out of my normal clothing budget and  not appropriate as a wedding dress (it was way under wedding dress budget though).  I tried it on for fun and fell in love.  I was a smart shopper and put it back with the thought "it will go on sale."  When I arrived home that night from wedding dress shopping (empty handed) I was determined to track this dress online and buy it the moment it was affordable.  But after searching and searching, I found it nowhere.  I used every combination of description terms imaginable hoping to find it online SOMEWHERE, but I failed.  For the next couple of weeks I had dreams about myself wearing this dress.  One night I'd be wearing it to business meetings, the next to a party on a yacht (this has never been a real life scenario, not sure why my dream life is so fancy).  I was heartbroken that I had missed the opportunity to buy this dress and was sure that the store would be out of my size if I found myself there again.  3 weeks later a day trip to a nearby park ended with Mr. PbR and I having a meal at a mall and there it was: my dream dress.  In my size.  I really had no choice- and no, it was not on sale.  I paid full price for this thing so I have to get full use of it.  And I had to promise to use it in my 30 for 30 (which was announced a few days after I made the purchase) even though there aren't too many ways to wear it.  I just couldn't let it sit for 30 days after spending such a horrific amount on it.  So, I'll be making my best efforts to remix.  Any tips will be appreciated.  Also feel free to leave tips on self-control as it's obvious I have none.

12 comments:

  1. Well, I can't tell what the dress looks like overall, but from what I can see, it looks like it would go great underneath a lightweight neutral t-shirt, worn with a hat and sandals. Super casual, you know?

    And it's my personal feeling that a dress is worth purchasing if it's SHOWING UP IN YOUR DREAMS (hello!). My mom's philosophy with clothes that are a little more than you want to spend is to leave it behind, like you did, and see if you're still thinking about it and wanting it 48 hours later. If you are, then go back and get it. If it's gone when you go back, take it as a sign from the universe. Most times, after 48 hours, I can't even remember what the dang thing looked like! But there are those rare occasions when I'm head-over-heels in love with something, and thus far, I've never regretted making those purchases. Anyway, I think you did a good thing. Self-control? Who needs it? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you made the right decision because this dress is gorgeous! The color is so pretty and looks great on you. I love it with the black. I admit that I am about as cheap as they come but sometimes even I am willing to put out some cash for a really good piece... I think I would have done that with this dress too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous dress! I think I've never regretted a well thought out purchase, and it sounds like this dress was meant to be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute dress! I like how the sleeves poke out from underneath the sleeves of your black shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing! I love how you styled it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This outfit fits your like a glove - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2/10/2011

    I love the green!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your greight outfit is great! I like how you've styled it! I could see it with a cardi. It looks like a button-up? You could wear it unbuttoned with a printed tank. Wear it solo with a long necklace. I look forward to all of the great combinations you put together!
    Come link up on Friday! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a happy shade of green. and i love tricking the world and wearing a shirt over a dress. for some reason it makes me very happy. you look great.
    -brittney
    http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com (fellow remixer)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone! i'm already forgetting the money and loving the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color of the dress is amazing, and totally worth it. Sounds like you love it, and that's what counts! I'd rather spend a LOT of money on one item I love than 10 items that are mediocre. (even though I rarely follow that. I spend all my money of stuff I dont really need or want that bad. Oh well)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've also learned about making a dress a skirt by layering a top over it.
    -You could layer long sleeves over it...
    -what about layering a longsleeved button up in a complimentary color... double collars, why not ;)
    -How bout a casual tshirt like was mentioned with a fun pic and flip flops....
    -a vest (like in blue denim/brown cordarou) with wooden beads and espirelldas (those spanish type wedge heels ;)
    -A tank top in white etc...with some summery sandles. With a jean jacket :)
    -If it's cold you could layer it with a turtleneck, then a long cardi/coat and belt it.

    Try different things, get creative, think outside the box and have fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete